Sunday, October 13, 2013

How to protect yourself from getting hacked!






It was only recently that I was getting ready for bed and thought I would check my e-mail one last time.  It was then I noticed two e-mails from Walmart.com saying thank you for  my recent purchase of $200 for playstation video games.  My oldest child is 6 and my husband does not have a playstation, so I knew INSTANTLY that someone hacked my information.  After digging further I learned not only was I hacked that evening but a couple times last September, through my Paypal account!

This happens to all of us, right? I was so disappointment in myself that I let this happen.  But it was then, that I vowed, this would never happened again!

Protect yourself!

Here are some tips I learned:


  1. Spend 5-10 minutes, daily going over your accounts and make sure everything looks legit.  Look out for vendors you never purchased from before or charges that look suspicious.  For example, I had (2) charges on my bank account for $94.64.  They were from the same company for same about of money.  Even if you can only check every couple days, the sooner you are aware, the sooner you can rectify the problem.
  2. Change your password every couple months.  Yes, this may seem annoying, but worth it!  Keep a log of your passwords in a place that only you can access. 
  3. Make sure you have a decent security software on your computer.  Also, make sure it always up-to-date.
  4. If you shop on your mobile device, make sure the device is locked.  If someone steals your mobile device, they will be able to access everything by just going to your browser
  5. Make sure the website you are using has a "S" at the end of  the https.  For example: "https.//amazon.com/"  If it does not, think twice before using the site.
  6. DO NOT SHOP on a public Wifi network.  According to the "Business Insider," public browsers are porous. 

If you have any other tips, I would love to hear them, please comment below!!

2 comments:

  1. That is a scary situation and these are great tips to help avoid the problems you just mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was and still is scary. All you can do, is become pro-active!!

    ReplyDelete